Classification of online games. How to properly describe a game
To pass the necessary information about the game to the interlocutor in a nutshell, a classification of games was invented. And to be more precise, the classification appeared by itself, as games, trendsetters. That’s why it is not sufficiently systematized, and one game can have the qualities of several classes.
The first thing to do is to specify the platform (PC, Xbox, PS, Android, Mobile). A full description of the game is usually sufficient to determine its style and basic (since they may belong to several) genre or subgenre. But, for the classification of online games – this is not enough.
The full description should look like this:
- Multiplayer or MMO
- Style or setting
- Platform: PC, Xbox, PS, Android, iOS
- View-type: 1st person, isometric games, 3rd view, or VR games.
And if it is a game for the PC, you must be sure to say browser it or the client.
Classification of the game by view type
How do you determine what kind of game you are playing? It is straightforward; there are only three (for example, World of Tanks has all 3 views):
- 1st person View means that the image in the game is displayed as if you see it through your hero’s eyes. Many online games have a first-person view and a third-person view.
- Isometric view – classic view of objects on the plane. Isometry is a fixed view from the top, side, and any other angle.
- The 3rd-person view – means that the image in the game is displayed as if you can see it through the eyes of another person behind your hero.
As you already understand, in many modern games, you can switch between the 1st and 3rd face.
Classification by technical execution
A lot of water has gone away since the first online game. And all the while, the Internet protocols were improving, which eventually led to a split gaming industry into two segments: browser and client. That is why, first of all, online games are divided into browser and client types.
Browser – those in which you play, as easy to guess, in the Internet browser itself, with no third-party software, without any install processes. Typically, these games are outstanding, both in graphics and performance, as technical capabilities are limited to the working environment, in this case, the Internet browser. Here, the progress is not in place, and already among them, you can find these giants, almost nothing inferior to online client games (see Drakensang Online).
Client – classic, those in which the data exchange with the server occurs through a client, a special program written to run the game in the computer operating system. And even in this category, and to this day prevail games that are significantly inferior in graphics and plot to modern singles, because to create an excellent online game requires much more time than for the latter. During this time, the “engine” of the game (its core, around which everything is built) is much outdated.
But, for a brief description of the online game of its technical execution is not enough. You need to specify the genre and style in which it was created.
Classification of online games by style
The easiest classification of online games can be made by determining its stylistic performance. Define the style of the game is straightforward; you need to describe it, throwing away any technical detail.
- Middle Ages
- Our time
And, of course, knowledgeable players and such a description will not be enough. All of them primarily want to know the genre of the game, because the style is usually described in simple words.
Classification of online games by number of players
Online games can be even single, but almost all in essence not online, and just single browser games.
- Multiplayer – the number of players is limited to hundreds.
- MMO – the number of players is not limited. At the same time, thousands attend the game.
Unlike online games, computer games are divided into singles, offline (by correspondence), and Splitscreen (games on one screen).
Classification of online games by genre
Well, what may seem complicated is the definition of the game genre. Since the classification of games by genre is the most difficult, how many games do so much genre. In this case, it is not systematized enough, and one game can belong to both two types, and not one of them completely. Here I will describe only the genres of major online games; for other computer games, the list can go on for a long time.
- Action – games on the speed of reaction.
- Stealth – elements of the hidden passage.
- Militant – games like the old Schwartz movie.
- RPG – classic role-playing games that have been transferred to the digital world. Characters differ in the roles that are performed.
- Action/RPGs are games with RPG elements, in which the speed of reaction also plays a small role.
- Hack and slash – games in which the main time you focus on killing monsters, rather than plague or other.
- MMORPG is a multiplayer version of the regular RPG.
- MOBA – players fight with their heroes in the virtual arena, perform their role.
- Strategy – thinking games, in which the victory is achieved by building a strategy.
- Step-by-step – players take turns in the time allotted to them.
- Real-time – players walk simultaneously; the time of a move is not limited.
- Casual – simple games designed to kill, but not other players or monsters, but free time.
- Simulator – the main task is the realism of what is happening, no matter what it is associated with.
- Quest, whose main goal – to complete the task, the action here may not be at all.
- Erotics and others.